Sleep Facts and Statistics
Sleep Facts and Statistics in USA
- Over 20% of Americans may suffer from chronic sleep loss or untreated sleep disorders.
- Poor sleep can contribute to weight gain, headaches, high blood pressure, diabetes, depression, an impaired immune system, and attention deficit disorder.
- More than 1,500 deaths a year are caused by drivers falling asleep at the wheel.
- Most adults need 7-8 hours of sleep every night.
- Sleeping pills have many side effects, such as continued drowsiness during the day, poor short-term memory, worsening of breathing difficulties, and possible addiction.
- Holistic surgeons use binaural beat technology to induce relaxation and reduce pain sensation during procedures.
- Sleep deprivation can actually be a form of torture!
- Not sleeping for 24 hours is the equivalent of having a blood alcohol level of .10, the legal limit in most states!
- Because of Maggie's Law, it is against the law to drive after being awake for 24 hours in New Jersey.
If you or someone you know are having trouble with sleep, learn about the drug-free innovative SleepPhones System!
Copyright © Wei-Shin Lai, MD 2007